Thursday, January 23, 2020

Taffy’s (Eaton, Ohio)

Playing live at Taffy’s in Eaton, Ohio. Taffy’s is a combination craft beer, coffeehouse and live music venue in downtown Eaton, Ohio. (Legend has it that John Hammond and Buddy Guy have played there).Eaton is a small town in western Ohio just a short distance from the Indiana border, not far from New Richmond.

When I played there a few years back Taffy’s was owned by a colorful German guy named Manfred. (I have been told it is now under new management) When I first walked in the place, Manfred told me to help myself to a bottle of beer. Of the literally hundreds of craft and imported beer in stock, I chose a nice brown bottle of Miller Lite.  Manfred was unhappy with my selection and let me know

about it. He was also unhappy with the pick-up in my acoustic guitar and he let me know about that too. Manfred was unhappy about a lot of things, mainly politics and the economy, and he shared his displeasure with everyone in the audience, which totaled exactly three people including Manfred. He also kept a tambourine behind the bar which he would pull out every now and then to add some percussion to my music. This was okay except Manfred was always about a half beat slow.

Still, I had a good time at Taffy’s. It is a great venue to play and Manfred was one of those grumpy people you can’t help but like. Last I heard, he was living out west somewhere. I wonder if he still has that tambourine?

Taffy’s Website

Casey’s Website

No comments:

Post a Comment